Why Employees Leave
If you’ve had good employees leave recently, here are some questions you might use for soul searching.
- Did you work to motivate this employee?
- Did you take your stress out on them?
- Did you constantly change priorities?
- Did you spend time with this employee?
- Did you make sure they had all the skills and knowledge they needed to do the job?
- Were your expectations unreasonable?
- Did you choose the right person for the job in the first place?
- Did you have favorites?
- Were you moody?
- Did you take the time to find out what their issues were?
- Did you know what motivated them?
- Did you ask for their opinions?
- Were you fair with that person?
- Did you say “thank you”?
- Did you make them feel valued?
- Did you let them have control over their work?
- Did you make them feel important?
By examining the answers to these questions you may be able to prevent other good employees from leaving.
Also, when a good employee leaves, ask others if they know why the person left.
Why do employees stay?
- They have strong relationship with management
- They are given worthwhile and challenging work
- They are given an opportunity to grow